ANXIOUS PEOPLE BY FREDRIK BACKMAN

“ EXPENSIVE RESTAURANTS HAVE BIGGER GAPS BETWEEN THE TABLES. FIRST CLASS ON AEROPLANES HAVE NO MIDDLE SEATS. EXCLUSIVE HOTELS HAVE SEPARATE ENTRANCES FOR GUESTS STAYING IN SUITES. THE MOST EXPENSIVE THING YOU CAN BUY IN HE MOST DENSELY POPULATED PLACES ON THE PLANET IS DISTANCE. ”

Anxious people is a such a unique and wonderful book about people and life put in the most simplest way possible. This gave me 'Eleanor Oliphant' vibes all over and I totally loved it. When I thought of reading this one, I expected it to be good because I saw all the bookstagrammers go gaga over it but I genuinely thought it’s going to be one of those hyped up books which do not end up working out for me. But never did I know that it’s going to be so unputdownable.

The plot is simple - an attempt of bank robbery lands up being an hostage situation and 8 hostages are locked up in the apartment with the robber followed by police interrogation. But only, the essence of the story is not that simple. There is a lot going on in this book. There is loss, love, empathy, guilt, human stupidity, faulty decision making - all when the book continued to be funny and insanely true. This is my second book by Fredrik Backman after ‘A man called Ove’ and I feel this book has outdone the other one.

PROS: The writing style is different, what I would call the free style. It connects to the readers instantly.

It’s a page turner. It’s funny yet melancholic and describes life and people in its best possible way.

CONS: Definitely none for me. 

MY REVIEW: 5/5

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023