ON EARTH WE'RE BRIEFLY GORGEOUS BY OCEAN VUONG

" YOU ONCE TOLD ME THAT THE HUMAN EYE IS GOD'S LONELIEST CREATION. HOW SO MUCH OF THE WORLD PASSES THROUGH THE PUPIL AND STILL IT HOLDS NOTHING. THE EYE, ALONE IN THE SOCKET, DOESN'T EVEN KNOW THERE'S ANOTHER ONE, JUST LIKE IT, AN INCH AWAY, JUST AS HUNGRY, AS EMPTY. " 




I found this book on Instagram during my search for a book that will take me out of my reading slump. And yes, am happy that I chose this one.


This book is about a young Viatnamese immigrant in the US, Little Dog who is looking back at his childhood and writes them as a series of letters to his mother. He writes about the impact of the Vietnamese war on his childhood, the struggle of immigration, his love-hate relationship with his mother, his grandparents, his sexuality, the racial discrimination that he faced, the PTSD that he and his mother suffered and much more.


PROS: It was definitely a good read for me. The writing style was different (in a good way) and I loved the parts where he tried explaining his love-hate relationship with his mother.


CONS: At some points I got confused about the timeline of the story, whether it was his childhood or his adolescence or the present. I had to reread such parts for clarity. Rest it was a good book to get rid of the slump.

MY REVIEW: 4/5.

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023