THE GREAT ALONE BY KRISTIN HANNAH

‘Winter is coming” got a all new meaning for me after reading this book. I was so nervous when I picked this book because I loved ‘The Nightingale’ and didn’t want to be disappointed with the author’s next book. But, my God, this book was too good in its own way though I wouldn’t compare it with the former.


This is an historical domestic fiction which embraces romance and thriller as its subplots. A beautifully written coming of age story of 13 year old Leni. She is entangled in the web of her parents’ complex relationship and is resolute to break the chain. Her mother, Cora loves Leni as much as her husband, Ernt - a prisoner of war. Her love for Ernt takes them to the unknown land of Alaska to begin a new life which gets scary and secretive during the winter. As much as Alaska appears unwelcoming and cold, it also embraces its people with hope, love and strength. Leni meets Mathew at her new home which gives her a purpose to stay there. But what changes in Alaska changes Leni and Cora forever.





PROS: This is one of those books that left me spellbound with its intricate writing and magical storytelling, a book that left me asking for more.

There is no other author than Kristin Hannah who can write female relationships with such grace and poignance. I loved every bit of interaction between Cora and Leni. 

Though this book left me heartbroken and teary eyed at many places, it is all about survival, family, hope and love.

This is one of those books that I love irrespective of its shortcomings for its intense writing.

One of those rare books where domestic violence was written right and not romanticised (at least Leni did not).


CONS: The only draw back of the book was having too many mishaps, all too often and also the one point that gave me a cliched daily soap kind of a feeling (like when people respond to the voice of loved ones when in coma!).


MY REVIEW: 4/5 (only because I loved The Nightingale way too much and I cannot help compare both).

#penbooksandscalpel

I am participating in Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023