WHEN WILL YOU DIE BY JAYANTHI SANKAR

BOOK NAME : WHEN WILL YOU DIE

AUTHOR NAME : JAYANTHI SANKAR

GENRE : SOCIO-PSYCHOLOGICAL NOVELLA

PUBLISHER : ZERO DEGREE PUBLISHING

BOOK BUY LINK : https://www.amazon.in/When-Will-You-Jayanthi-Sankar/dp/9395511125

This socio-psychological novella follows the lives of Susan and her half-brother, Jo. Susan lives with her Nani after losing her parents with the responsibility of raising Jo as her own. She loves him as her whole world and is no lesser than a mother to Jo. Susan marries her pen pal, Suiyi and settles in Singapore against her Nani's wishes, and that's when things start changing in their lives. Jo's quirkiness turns annoying and makes everyone's life uneasy. Susan loves her brother and so cannot let go of him. But she must make sure things are taken care of.



This story started great for me, and I enjoyed the description of the lives of the main leads in Goa and Singapore. The novella had an exciting way of conveying domestic fiction with its intriguing writing. 

I loved the sibling bond between Susan and Jo and her relationship with her Nani. It's a story of every firstborn female who is always expected to give and love more than what they receive, yet they do it effortlessly. 

The concept of penpals and the shift from handwritten letters to emails between Susan and Suiyi were nostalgic. The mental health subplot was so well-written and easily relatable.


Having spoken about the things I liked in the book, I also have to discuss my disappointments. Yes, firstly, I did expect a twisted psychological thriller based on its cover and title. But the book is way different. I would have loved the book if it had been represented appropriately. 

The sudden timeline shift and a leap of almost 10 years in each chapter made it difficult for me to relate to the story. I felt every woman in the story had a similar past with an estranged husband and a sob story to tell.

Though I am yet to come across someone who did not love this book, it fell a little short for me, and I was unfortunately let down.


MY REVIEW: 3/5

#penbooksandscalpel 

I am participating in Blogchatter’s #TBRChallenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023