JASMINE DAYS BY BENYAMIN (TRANSLATED FROM THE MALAYALAM BY SHAHNAZ HABIB)

BOOK NAME: JASMINE DAYS

AUTHOR NAME : BENYAMIN (TRANSLATED FROM THE MALAYALAM BY SHAHNAZ HABIB)

GENRE: CONTEMPORARY FICTION, TRANSLATED BOOK

PUBLISHER: JUGGERNAUT

BOOK BUY LINKhttps://www.amazon.in/Jasmine-Days-Benyamin/dp/9353450748


This challenge by Blogchatter is very close to my heart because translated books are my go-to zone, and I had to be a part of this challenge by all means. 


Before discussing the book, let me share an interesting back story of why I chose this book for the challenge. Whenever I start a book, I habitually read the author's and the translator's notes before starting the book itself, even if it's on the book's last page. While referring to them, I found an interesting note by Benyamin stating that this book was initially written by a certain Sameera Parvin, a Pakistani immigrant in the Middle East, and he had accidentally stumbled upon her book through a friend. The book was stated to be "a spring without fragrance", originally written in Arabic, which was translated to Malayalam by Benyamin, which was in turn translated to English by Shahnaz Habib. It felt like the inception of translated works, and I was intrigued that the original author and final translator is a women writer and that it fits perfectly for the challenge. 


But later, upon research, I came across an interview by Benyamin stating, "No, there is no Sameera Parvin. It is just a literary trick that is picking up." He also adds that the experiences of the protagonist Sameera Parvin are his own during his stay in the Middle East. Though I appreciate this creative freedom used smartly by the author, I also can't come to terms with the fact that Sameera Parvin doesn't exist for real. The author-cum-screenplay writer really knows his game well. If you are up for solving this inception vs literary trick game, pick this book up and get merged in the world of jasmine days, aka jasmine revolution. Anyway, this book fits the TBR challenge for the prompt “read a translated book”.


End of story. Let's get into the book review




Sameera Parvin is a young Pakistani immigrant in an unrevealed Middle East country, probably Bahrain or Tunisia, which is fuming with local protests and revolution. The Shias are the majority Muslim population in the country. They claim that the government is partial against them and is favouring the Sunnis and the immigrants while treating them as second-class citizens. Protests emerge in most parts of the country, and Sameera doesn't know whom to support - her Baba and Taya, who work for the government or her best friend Ali, who is fighting for a cause. Amidst the chaos, she is on the verge of losing her job as an RJ, losing her friends and loved ones and leaving the country for good. But what will Sameera choose? Will human goodness prevail over wars, hatred and bloodshed? This  2018 JCB prize for literature winner says it all with poignance and eloquence.


Apart from having a fantastic cover, this book has a beautiful way of storytelling and is on point with reference to a Muslim household background and culture. Until I picked this book, I had no idea about the Shia vs Sunni massacre, the jasmine revolution, or the pearl square, and I am so grateful to the author for writing on this topic in an engrossing manner.


Sameera Parvin as a protagonist, is so relatable that I sometimes felt it was the story of someone I am familiar with. She is independent, headstrong, innocent and good at heart. She did not fall for false promises or words of mouth; instead, she stood her ground for what she thought was right. All the other characters were relatable too, and contributed to the story.


Whether or not Sameera Parvin exists in real life, the story sounds very authentic, and I thank this book for existing and being translated so that I could get my hands on it. I would say it's a must-read book that will change your perspective on human emotions and war.



MY REVIEW: 5/5

#penbooksandscalpel  #tbrchallenge

I am participating in Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023