TERESA’S MAN AND OTHER STORIES FROM GOA BY DAMODAR MAUZO (TRANSLATED FROM THE KONKANI BY XAVIER COTA)

BOOK NAME : TERESA’S MAN AND OTHER STORIES FROM GOA

AUTHOR NAME : DAMODAR MAUZO (TRANSLATED FROM THE KONKANI BY XAVIER COTA)

PUBLISHER : RUPA PUBLICATIONS

GENRE : SHORT STORY COLLECTION 

BOOK BUY LINK : https://www.amazon.in/Teresas-Man-other-Stories-Goa/dp/8129134667


This book is a collection of short stories set in different timelines based in Goa. I was so excited to start this book because it is my first book based on Goa and I wanted to read about its culture and background apart from being a tourist place. After reading this book, I would say that authors should write more Goan literature because the setting and culture is so rich and diverse. 



A few stories in the book were witty, a few melancholic, and a few were thought-provoking. Though I would say I loved a few stories, I did not get entirely invested in a few others. That is because most of the stories had an open ending. It is one thing to finish a book on a cliffhanger, and it is entirely different to stop stories abruptly in the middle and call it an open ending. I would have loved it more if I knew more about each story, and I definitely prefer a proper ending for most of them. 


My favourites were: Electoral empowerment, Sand castles and a writer's tale. The rest were kind of okayish and didn't stay with me for long. Most stories felt more preachy than convincing, and quite a lot of the circumstances didn't appear to happen in real life and were overly imaginative.


Otherwise, the writing and the language, background and cultural references felt appropriate and relatable. 


MY REVIEW : 2.5/5 ( I did not think I wouldn't enjoy this book when I started. Sadly, my excitement was cut short just in the first chapter. The best chapters were towards the end and probably should have been the early chapters to create an impact).

#penbooksandscalpel

I am participating in Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023