AS LONG AS THE LEMON TREES GROW BY ZOULFA KATOUH

BOOK NAME: AS LONG AS THE LEMON TREES GROW

AUTHOR NAME: ZOULFA KATOUH

GENRE: HISTORICAL FICTION

PUBLISHER: BLOOMSBURY PUBLISHING

BOOK BUY LINK : https://www.amazon.in/As-Long-Lemon-Trees-Grow/dp/1526648512




"When I go to heaven, I'll tell God everything." 


Well, I am flustered and completely out of words. Where do I even start, and how? It's been a few days since I finished this book, and I still can't get over the lines. I have a few more book reviews to share, which I had read earlier, but I want to rant about this one first. Not many times have I loved a young adult book like this one. An historical fiction with a young adult romance blossoming amidst the chaos is never something I thought I would fall for. But here I am, recommending this book to everyone over and over again.


Salama is a young pharmacology student who was forced to take up the surgeon's job under Dr. Ziad. She works every day in the hospital, stitching up wounds and saving lives destroyed by the war. She loves Syria and her job, but her promise to her brother, Hamza, flashes in front of her every minute. She must leave Syria with her best friend and sister-in-law - Layla, and her unborn child to keep her promise. She is resolute to save them against all odds, even if it means risking her life. Salama thinks her life is meant to be as sad as her war-torn nation until she meets Kenan, the green-eyed boy. Kenan and Salama fall for each other, find beauty under the destruction, and seek peace amidst the chaos while fighting for their nation and family's safety.




This book is a must-read historical fiction to understand the Syrian war and its people. I loved each and every character, including Khwaf, Salama's non-existent friend and their banter. It brought tears to my eyes while reading about Syria's helplessness, Salama's mental trauma, the moral struggle of people in war, and the could have-been-s and what if-s. 


Now, I don't say that the book is perfect. There are a few shortcomings, like the timeline of the Syrian war is skewed, but the author explains it later in her note. Some events looked like a fairy tale affair, and some even were humanly impossible. So, the book is with its flaws, but still so worthy. If you have never shed a tear reading a book yet, you will definitely do after reading this book.




MY REVIEW: 4.5/5

#penbooksandscalpel

I am participating in Blogchatter’s #TbRchallenge


Comments

  1. I don't want to shed a tear reading a book. Books must enlighten, for me. But your review serves its purpose.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023