LET ME BREATHE, LET ME BE..




All is fair In love and war, they say;

Yet biased and crooked, they most often stay.

They say they love you as their own

Yet ask you "Why no makeup on?".


They tell you are too plain otherwise;

Too dark, too pale, too plump, too scrawny,

Too tall, too short - can't accept any.

Too much skin, too much attitude, too much ego;

They say doesn't make you a woman and to let go


Problem with any, problem with all:

Don't speak; the men are speaking

Don't sit; stand while the elders are!

Shush! You talk louder - do it like a lady;

Sit like one but don't cross your legs.


Don't stare, don't ask much, don't you dare;

But they say they still love you - beware!

This isn't fair; this ain't love.

We aren't fighting you as our foe.


Don't tell me when to marry, when to carry,

What to wear, how to eat and whom to meet.

Don't try to hold me in your clutches,

Or to keep me under your control.


Let me free; I won't harm any.

Let me be; I won't wrong any.

Let me decide; I won't fool any.

Let me just breathe; I won't doom any.


If this is your fair, this ain't love, but just war,

You don't realise

You're waging against your own.


Don't serve me your looks

Don't kill me in your womb

Just give me books and let me school.

Don't curb my space in the name of virtue.

I hope you hear me, and don’t just forgo!


I cook, I clean, I care

I give, I carry, I bear

I fall, I break, I rejuvenate

I smile, I move on, I don't debate.


Isn't this enough? Am I not tough?

Don't test me more, I got no more

Nothing is fair

And none of this is love

Or war either

Because it's much more woe


Can we just sit and talk like adults?

Can we be friends and not mere rivals? 

Can we let others breathe and coexist?

Can we not find fault or be sexist?


Let's stop this here

For a world full of love

Fairer and free of war

And accept us as their very own.


Let's just call for love

Not fair, not war, not less, not more;

Just all is fair in love and war.




- REHANA

#penbooksandscalpel


This is a part of Blogchatter's half marathon 2023





Top post on Blogchatter

Comments

  1. Soulfully wrapped words ..wow

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was intense but beautiful poem no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for taking your time to read and appreciate it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023