ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS BY ARAMINTA HALL

BOOK NAME: ONE OF THE GOOD GUYS

AUTHOR NAME: ARAMINTA HALL

GENRE: THRILLER

PUBLISHER: PANMACMILLAN

BOOK BUY LINK: https://www.amazon.in/One-Good-Guys-Araminta-Hall/dp/103501811X


BOOK COVER IMAGE




BOOK REVIEW

This is one of those rare books that ended up exceeding my expectations because of the mixed reviews. From my last reading experience, I learned to brush through the negative reviews as well (without spoilers) before reading a book and dreaded not liking it at the end. But to my surprise, it turned out the exact opposite for me. I am now confused about whether I have to continue this practice of looking at reviews or not because they have worked completely opposite every time.


Cole and Mel are separated as they both want different things in life, and Cole finds it challenging to move on. He meets Lenni at the seaside, where he has moved, and they start a new chapter together. Two girls campaigning for a women's movement go missing nearby, and things start unfolding in a way that no one had expected. Was Cole as innocent and kind-hearted as he had always thought and projected himself to be? Was Mel being inconsiderate and selfish by being too work-bound, and did it push Cole off his limits? 


This book was such an interesting take on subtle misogyny, casual sexism, social media trial and legitimising toxic behaviour. I would have loved this same tone and intention in a certain book that claims to be a romance story but glorifies abuse. The story is relatable to every woman out there, even though there was a bit of exaggeration in the first part. This page-turner had characters and scenarios that I had known and seen, which made it more interesting for me, though it was a very uncomfortable read.


Honestly, it was a five-star read until the third part appeared with that controversial twist. I do not really know if I like the twist at all. The story was great, and the author's intentions were well executed. The characters are spot-on, though there is no suspense as to who the villain in the story is. Kudos to the author for writing about misogynistic issues that are prevalent in the society. She has taken a modern approach, throwing light on how social media trials have taken over basic sanity and humanity.


But still, I don't know if the twist served the purpose with which it was written. I can still say that maybe it's just me who did not like it. Perhaps other readers might even find it interesting. I am even a little sad that this isn't a five-star read for me.


MY REVIEW: 4/5 

This is a part of Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023