THE FORMIDABLE MISS CASSIDY BY MEIHAN BOEY

BOOK NAME: THE FORMIDABLE MISS CASSIDY

AUTHOR NAME: MEIHAN BOEY

GENRE: HISTORICAL FICTION / MYTHOLOGY

PUBLISHER: EPIGRAM BOOKS

BOOK BUY LINK: https://www.amazon.in/Formidable-Miss-Cassidy-Meihan-Boey-ebook/dp/B09NV4Z97C


BOOK COVER IMAGE




BOOK REVIEW

It's 1890, and Singapore is heavily distraught with British colonisation, Chinese immigrants and locals in poverty. Miss Cassidy comes to Singapore as a paid chaperone to Sarah Jane, the only surviving child of Captain Bendemeer. As she learns about the customs and cultures of Singapore, she encounters fantastical elements like magic potions, Pontianak, toyols, and mythical beasts. She is caught in a situation where she must find the missing daughters of the new master, Mr. Kay, whom she works under, and Miss Cassidy might be forced to reveal her identity. Mr. Kay is not just her employee; they have started to hit a connection. Will this revelation affect their possible relationship? 


I really loved Miss Cassidy's character, which had a versatile and mysterious touch to it. She was classy, simple, commanding, loyal and kind. She has turned out to be one of my favourite protagonists for me. The cultural setting in Singapore was beautiful, and I got to learn many local practices and myths from the book. Yes, there were instances in the book that felt too rushed and a few that felt too dragged. Some elements were not for me, as I was not expecting too many magical elements to take over the story. But overall, it was a good reading experience combining historical fiction and mythology together with a strong female protagonist. 


I loved carrying Miss Cassidy along with me during the readalong as I was travelling. The book was definitely a saviour during those times when I had nothing else to do. I travelled to Singapore while Miss Cassidy to Kashmir. It felt like a small cultural exchange. I'm looking forward to reading the sequel and more by this author. 



MY REVIEW: 3.5/5

This is a part of Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023