ANATOMY, A LOVE STORY BY DANA SCHWARTZ (BOOK 1 OF THE DUOLOGY)

BOOK NAME: ANATOMY A LOVE STORY (Book 1 of the Duology)

AUTHOR NAME: DANA SCHWARTZ

GENRE: MEDICAL FICTION / YOUNG ADULT MYSTERY THRILLER / HISTORICAL ROMANCE

PUBLISHER: WEDNESDAYBOOKS

BOOK BUY LINK: https://www.amazon.in/Anatomy-Love-Story-Dana-Schwartz/dp/1250774152


BOOK COVER IMAGE




BOOK REVIEW

Never in my wilder dreams had I imagined I would ever read a medical fiction with an aspiring female surgeon as a protagonist set in the Victorian era. This book was everything I never thought I would get served in a book together. It made me feel guilty for misjudging it altogether, even before starting it. I really thought it would be another average book, but I never knew I was in for a surprise. I love it when a book manages to amuse me by surpassing my expectations.


Set in Edinburg in the early 19th century, Hazel Sinnett had always wanted to become a surgeon. But she has been engaged to her cousin since childhood, who wants her to take over the Almont house. Imagine wanting to be a surgeon in the 19th century as a girl! Hazel goes against the norms and sneaks her way into the forbidden anatomist society, where she meets Jack - the body resurrector, who illegally sells corpses to doctors for examination. But mind you, Jack is not the villain here. He has to do what he has to do for survival, and he has his set of problems, too. There are greater evils going around, and Hazel and Jack promise to uncover them together.


To start with, this book was marketed as a gothic romance. But it was less gothic and more of an excellent mystery thriller with historical romance. If anything, it felt like a Little Women / Jane Austen girl x Disney male protagonist x Sidney Sheldon crossover. It goes without saying that no romance book has ever managed to impress me in the past quite like this one. It's commendable how the author has taken snippets from medical history and woven them all together in a wonderful tale, except for a very few inaccuracies. These were the things we were taught in medical schools as a part of medical history. If only they had taught us this way.


There are a few inaccuracies and a bit of a melodrama towards the end, though the book never really ends. It's left with an open ending for us to find in the sequel, which I eagerly look forward to. But this book is definitely going to be one of my top reads of the year.



MY REVIEW: 4.5/5 

This post is a part of Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

CHAPTER 2 - THE BACKSTORY - ALIZA