MY FAVOURITE CULINARY EXPEDITIONS

One thing that I have realised in the past thirty years of my life is that food is what I seek for both celebrating success and as a coping mechanism under stress. This post might not be essentially about the food items or the places per se. But it's about the circumstances under which I had them that made it a memorable experience for me.





1. BENGALURU - NEELADRI ROAD

Those were the most challenging days of my life - the three years of my post-graduation period from 2017 to 2020. It was the first time I stayed away from home. I still remember how painful it was when my mother parted ways with me after leaving me in my room. As an introvert, I couldn't accommodate the PG lifestyle and rented an apartment of my own, even though it meant living alone for the rest of the years. All thanks to my landlord and the people of Bengaluru, I was safe and sound on my own. Amidst all the shambling and rambling, I was extremely homesick and would be sick to my stomach to find myself all alone at my newfound home and workplace. And as an outsider, I found it very difficult to fit in. What alleviated my struggles during those times was this tiny little stall in a crowded lane of Bengaluru that served the best-known momo for less than 100 rupees. After my initial discovery, I resorted to the place whenever I found myself distressed. I even took my parents, batchmates, friends and anyone who visited me there to share the only happy experience of the place with them. Whenever I struggled to cope with burnout and homesickness, I would visit the shop and comfort myself with a plate of hot, spicy, soul-warming momo. It was my way of coping, and even today, when I think of Bengaluru, I think of the stall which helped me fight my loneliness through food.





2. OLD DELHI ROAD - JAMA MASJID

I can't describe the feeling one gets when walking through the bustling streets of Jama Masjid during the month of Ramadan. It was just surreal that the memory was etched in my brain. Though I was visiting Delhi for other reasons, I took the opportunity to explore the Jama Masjid and its food street while I was there. The buzzing road, the enigmatic masjid, the wafting smell of all flavours combined - there is something about that place, even though one would dismiss it, saying it is overly crowded. I don't really remember what I had that day. From my remote memory, it was probably sheekh kababs, tandoori chicken and Mohabbat ka sherbet. But what really stood out for me from this experience was the cultural collaboration in the streets of old Delhi. Contrary to what I had heard, I did not see people from just one community there. But they were from all around the nation and world. There were foreigners visiting the masjid, devotees trying to break their fast at street shops, photographers and food bloggers jogging around despite the air being filled with sweat and smoke from the barbecue. I remember watching the bustling city in fascination, like someone who discovered firecrackers for the first time. And for me, the crammed streets of Old Delhi with the Jama Masjid in the centre surrounded by the flavours in the air will forever relate to festivities in my mind.





3. LANES OF COONOOR AND OOTY

No matter how much people in healthcare advocate against caffeine, we constantly immerse ourselves in litres and litres of tea and coffee to survive. But not every chai or coffee experience is the same. The one at work has to be gulped down in a matter of seconds, though it is scalding hot because there is always some work that needs to be taken care of. But imagine having a hot cup of tea and Maggi while watching the mountains covered in mist with the sun climbing up on a foggy morning when it's 12 degrees. Beaches are always my go-to because I come from a beach city. But mountains have also managed to secure a place of their own in my heart. Maybe it's not only the taste of the food in itself but where you are having it that matters. The same tea and Maggi would have tasted normal at home instead of a mountain backdrop. This was not just about food but more about my sensory systems working together with a great visionary and a culinary experience.





4. NOT THE LEO (SIFAR) CAFE - KASHMIR

Humans are complicated beings. We want to travel through the world while staying at home and feel at home in a place that isn't. Similarly, I am someone who is adventurous and tries to cook different cuisines at home. But while in Kashmir, all I needed was some home-cooked meal. The constant gloomy weather with snow, the power cuts, the persistent need to be covered under so many layers of clothing, the language barrier, and the early shutdown of the city only made it worse. For a South Indian, eating chapatis and rotis for more than a couple of days is an impossible task. Thankfully, we found this cute little place serving delicious South Indian food in an outdoor setting. "Are you aware of the famous cafe in Kashmir where the Leo movie was shot?" Our tour guide asked. Then continued, "Well, it's not that one. But the one exactly opposite to it." Not so elite looking in comparison, this place was busy with people walking in and out with smiles on their faces. We had the best dosas, filter coffee, and masala vada that any place above Tamil Nadu could serve. It was probably the best day in terms of food we had had in the five days because that was when we ate our best during our stay there. To feel at home when you are not is truly a blessing. 






5. STREETS OF CHARMINAR, HYDERABAD

I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but when my brother-in-law and his wife raved about the bun Maska and Hyderabadi chai along the street of Charminar, I had to try it. Charminar, as such, is nothing but a giant arch that glows with so much artificial lighting, and to get there, one must really really put one's life at risk through the crowd and traffic. Shopping is not really what I do when I travel, but that day was different because Hyderabad was different in itself. The land and its lanes were rich in culture and history. Even amid the chaos, the backdrop of Hyderabad was majestic, and it was glowing. The slang of the locals, the street foods, the Hyderabadi biryani, the special tea, and the forts and arches all spoke about Hyderabad's rich and diverse history. When I finally tried the bun Maska under the arch of Charminar, I must say it is among those delicacies that one can die for. 




HOME IS WHERE THE HEART IS

No matter how much we all love wandering and exploring, there is no place like home. The comfort one gets in one's own bed after unloading from a five-day journey is more relaxing than the travel itself. The first bite of a home-cooked mother's meal after staying away from home is the best of anything that one could have. I can't enumerate the number of moments or memories attached to my mother's meal because I can just go on till eternity. But when I think of home, it's my mother and everything she does for me.



This post is a part of #BlogchatterFoodfest 2024

#penbooksandscalpel

Top post on Blogchatter

Comments

  1. Oh I loved reading this Rehana. I too have so many travel memories that revolve around food :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot, Suchita. I am happy you could relate with this post.

      Delete
  2. This gives me some great travel ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a lovely post. beautiful food memories to live by. So well-scripted.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

CHAPTER 2 - THE BACKSTORY - ALIZA