SORROW AND BLISS BY MEG MASON

BOOK NAME: SORROW AND BLISS

AUTHOR NAME: MEG MASON

GENRE: DOMESTIC FICTION

PUBLISHER: W&N BOOKS

BOOK BUY LINK: https://www.amazon.in/SORROW-AND-BLISS/dp/1474622992/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=



BOOK COVER IMAGE




BOOK REVIEW

Sorrow and Bliss is a book I never knew I needed. I started this book in October last year and kept pushing it back because I just wasn't ready for it. But as I progressed and completed it, I was extremely happy for at least having read it now instead of saving it for later.


Sorrow and Bliss, as the name suggests, is about Martha's journey through her mental health problems and the altering dynamics in her familial relationships. Martha is a middle-aged woman with a constantly fluctuating relationship with her mother. She instead seeks comfort from her sister Ingrid, her father and aunt. Later, Patrick takes over and tries to be her support system only until they can't break it any further.


After a dismal and dull start, I was almost ready to DNF the book because I did not expect what was coming later. As I navigated through the initial gloomy pages with much effort, I slowly understood that this book was more than just about Martha or anyone else. This book belongs to Patrick, Ingrid, Martha's parents and aunt as much as it does to Martha. This book belongs to every Martha out there who suffers from chaos and questions.


This book kept my serotonin levels fluctuating throughout. One moment, I was giggling at the sarcasm and wit with which Martha owned everyone. Immediately after, my heart was crushing at her suffering and helplessness. There was no page in the book that made me fall entirely in love with any characters. There were times when I hated Martha, and there were times when I hated Patrick, and every other character had their turn. But those were also truly the moments when they were all completely raw and vulnerable. They were all hauntingly real and undoubtedly phenomenal. If there's one book you want to read on mental health this year, then let it be this one.



MY REVIEW: 4.5 /5

This post is a part of Blogchatter’s #TBRchallenge

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

CHAPTER 2 - THE BACKSTORY - ALIZA