SUMMER OF THEN BY RUPLEENA BOSE

BOOK NAME: SUMMER OF THEN

AUTHOR NAME: RUPLEENA BOSE

GENRE: CONTEMPORARY FICTION  

PUBLISHER: PENGUIN INDIA  

BOOK BUY LINK: https://www.amazon.in/Summer-Then-Novel-Rupleena-Bose/dp/0143465708



BOOK COVER IMAGE





BOOK REVIEW

It's very unfortunate to break it to you that this book didn't make the cut for me. However, I looked up the reviews from others and realised it was just me. It was a solid five-on-five book to me until upto 50%. And then it started tumbling downhill. How not to mess up a well-written book with a remorseless protagonist and a messy story is what I got from this book. So, if you are planning to read this book, please ignore the caption, as I am choosing to go with a spoiler-filled review here because a rant would definitely help me out. 


This is a coming-of-age story of the protagonist who narrates her struggles as she navigates life between her boyfriend, Nikhil and his best friend, Zap, aka Zafar. Why would her life navigate around her boyfriend's best friend? Is that what you ask? Well, that's basically the storyline here. Ever since she met Zap, she has felt this intense connection, and she believes they were made for each other. They keep staring into each other and make obviously flirty remarks while hanging out with their respective partners. Even then, the protagonist maintains her relationship with Nikhil despite not feeling any love for him.


And yeah, she says yes to Nikhil when he proposes, and they get married, too, because what other option does the poor girl have? Soon after marriage, she cheats on him with Zap, who in turn cheats on his girlfriend. When her husband learns about it and yells at her, she points out how he has always been rude and self-centred. I mean, the man still didn't speak about it to another soul and let her decide on divorce while staying together! See, I am all in for stories with fierce and unapologetic women. But this, this is not unapologetic. This is straight-up crass.


I didn't hate the book as a whole. The struggles of an aspiring author and the life of a girl from a family with orthodox values surrounded by a misogynistic society were a few things I loved reading. And the political appropriation was relevant. The only thing I seem to dislike is the relationship between her, Nikhil and Zap, which she chooses to term a tangled relationship, but it comes as straight-up cheating to me.


Even in the end, when she realises how Zap played her, she blames Zap for cheating on Nikhil and her. She never once accepted her mistake because she didn't feel it was one. Is the book about second chances and starting over again? Well, if it was the case, I couldn't see or feel it. Maybe the book is really this way, or perhaps it's way too intelligently written for my tiny brain to wrap around. And the poor editing didn't make it any better.


MY REVIEW: 3/5

This is a part of #Blogchatterhalfmarathon and #TBRchallenge

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

  1. I read your review of this book on your Instagram too. I have this book in my list too but your review gives me pause. The things you found problematic are things I know I will find troublesome too. Now I have to really think if I want to read this book or no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I really had to point them out. But what doesnt work for me might do for you. Now I am eager to read your review of the same.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

CHAPTER 2 - THE BACKSTORY - ALIZA