HAMNET BY MAGGIE O’FARRELL - BOOK REVIEW

BOOK NAME: HAMNET

AUTHOR NAME: MAGGIE O’FARRELL

GENRE: HISTORICAL FICTION

PUBLISHER: TINDER PRESS



There are days when I finish a book, feel good about making the right choice, and stack it neatly on my shelf before carrying on with my life. And then, there are days when after reading the last line of a book, I close it with care and hold it to my chest for a couple of minutes with my eyes closed and refuse to move on as if life has come to a standstill. This is one of those days when I prefer to dwell inside my book instead of being surrounded by chaos. 


Hamnet is partly biographical and partly fictional, based on Hamnet Shakespeare and how his passing affected his parents and gave birth to the world-famous tragedy ‘Hamlet’. This book has been sending waves across bookstagram ever since its release. While some call it a masterpiece, others call this an attempt to whitewash Shakespeare’s image. But contrary to all the claims, I found the book very balanced and it humanised Shakespeare more than ever. And whatever the reason was behind this book, I found it worth reading.


Even though it did not make me weep like many others, the book did move me very deeply when it discussed Hamnet’s passing, especially the description of the twins' birth and Agnes's grief over her lost child. The last page was definitely a standout for me. I am also planning to watch the movie after knowing that the actress won the Oscars for her portrayal of Agnes, my favourite character from the book. This is going to be one of my top reads this year. 


This is a part of Blogchatter Half Marathon 2026 with Piyush’s Plotters.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE LOVE LANGUAGE - A SHORT STORY

WHY MALE VICTIMHOOD SELLS?

THE LETTERS THAT SHAPED MY LIFE