MY TOP HIGHLIGHTS OF THE YEAR 2023

As with every year, 2023 has been a decent reading year for many, including me. I can proudly say that this year, I read a variety of books from different genres across different regions, including traditional and indie authors. I believe you will agree when I say 2023 has been a year of cosy crime thrillers and nonfiction in the form of autobiographies and self-help books. Also, this year saw some of the greatest debuts and sequels from Indian and international authors. I would have read them all if I could. But sadly, I am just an average reader with 85 unread books on my shelf and 2500 wishlisted books in my TBR who reads at the rate of one page per day. Having said that, I somehow managed to finish my TBR challenge this year, and what more can be a highlight for a reader than reading some of the best books out there? If you would like to know the books that helped me complete my challenge, Click here. Here is my post sharing my top 5 highlight books of the year 2023.





5. I AM NOT YOUR PERFECT MEXICAN DAUGHTER BY ERIKA L. SANCHEZ



The moment I finished this book, I knew it would be one of my top reads for the year. This book is a story of a dysfunctional Mexican family in the US with a troubled teenager and her controlling parents. The book's uncanny resemblance to Indian parenting and teenagers made me feel close to it. Though the protagonist was imperfect, I couldn't help myself feeling for her and wanting to comfort her. I wish every teenager and their parents read this book to understand the dynamics of a teenager-parent relationship. I am pretty sure this book carries a bit of all our lives in its characters and story.

The complete review of the book is here



4. COME BEFORE EVENING FALLS BY MANJUL BAJAJ



With a serene cover and an opening line from Rumi's quote, nobody would have guessed its painful ending. The story of Jugni and Raaka's forbidden love is more than just romance and lust. It's about honour and pride; it's about the caste system that's prevalent in India and the never-ending bloodshed and hatred that comes with it. The ending left my heart in pieces while also conveying an empowering message. I was baffled to see barely any reviews at all for this book on Amazon and other social platforms. And it becomes my duty as a reader to inform the world about a great, underhyped book.

The complete review of the book is here



3. THE BEAUTY OF YOUR FACE BY SAHAR MUSTAFAH



War or genocide? Or a political move to claim power? I am talking about the current state of the Israel-Palestinian conflict. If you ask me, it's anything but war because of the armed vs unarmed nature of the conflict and the deep-rooted Islamophobia that's hidden under the attack. From an outsider's perspective, I would say this book is the need of the hour. It accurately depicts the Islamophobia that is globally prevalent and how Muslims are seen as nothing but terrorists. Talking about her mother's longing for her homeland - Palestine, while battling partial treatment at home and fighting the society to run a school for Muslim girls, Afaf was one of the most daring and likeable protagonists for me in 2023. The book is impartial as it not only narrates about Islamophobia but also the internal conflicts and man-made rules in Islam. If you want to read one book to understand the dynamics of Islam worldwide, pick this one up.

The complete review of the book is here



2. THE BOOK OF EVERLASTING THINGS BY AANCHAL MALHOTRA



If you know me, you would know there is no top 5 reading list for me without historical fiction. This a beautiful story set during the partition era. The incomplete forbidden love between Samir, a perfumist and Firdaus, a calligrapher, is bound to leave everyone teary-eyed and heartbroken. This book is the author's love letter to her lost homeland, Lahore. I loved every word written in this book. The fragrance from the book still lingers around me, asking me to pick it up one more time. This fantastic multigenerational fiction based on the partition will leave you asking for more. 

The complete review of the book is here



1. A SPOOL OF BLUE THREAD BY ANNE TYLER



What should I say about this book? How shall I describe a book that has no plot or drama. There are no villains or damsels in distress in this story. There are no neck-breaking twists or jaw-dropping revelations. How did I even think I could write about this book in words. It is a story about the mundane life of an American family, their changing relationships, their shared happy moments, their sorrows and fights, their first home together, their humble family lunch, and their last summer vacation. I would describe this book as the view of the sea from the top of a cliff - unassuming on the surface with layers of depths hidden under. One must read this book to understand that there is beauty and solace in mundane things. 

The complete review of the book is here



SPECIAL MENTIONS:

Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison

Yellowface by Rebecca F. Kuang

As Long As the Lemon Trees grow by Zoulfa Katouh

Jasmine Days by Benyamin

The Sorcery of the Senses by Tanima Das

The Begum and the Dastan by Tarana Husain Khan

A Murder on the Malabar Hill by Sujata Masey

My Name is Not Devdas by Aayush Gupta

Until I Find You by Kanchana Banerjee


This marks the end of my post but not the list of wonderful books I read this year. To mention all of them, I presume a single post would be insufficient. There were many other books that were great and memorable to me. But I decided to keep this post crisp and short, hence the limited mentions. You can always find out about the other great books from my blog. I hope this year ends on a high note for you all, and let's meet again in 2024. Stay booked, and never stop reading. 


This post is a part of #BlogchatterBlogHop part one.

#penbooksandscalpel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHAPTER 1 - ALIZA AND AHMED

CHAPTER 4 - DISTANCE MATTERS

MY FAVOURITE BLOGCHATTER MOMENTS FROM 2023